When it comes to your skin-care routine, using the best face masks can take the results to the next level. Whether you prefer a deep-cleansing clay formula or a hydrating overnight mask, there are different types of face masks to address every skin concern — and, not to mention, serve as a welcome time-out during your day. These powerful formulations “are designed to deliver high concentrations of active ingredients to your skin,” Joshua Zeichner, MD, director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, tells Allure. “Generally speaking, masks are used intermittently to help give your skin a boost when it needs it.”
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: The Outset Purifying Blue Clay Mask, $46
- Best for Dry Skin: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Overnight Rehydrating Mask With 10.5% Squalane, $45
- Best for Oily Skin: Caudalíe Vinergetic C+ Pore Minimizing Instant Detox Mask, $42
- Best for Plumping: Laneige Water Sleeping Mask, $32
- Best for Mature Skin: Mario Badescu Super Collagen Mask, $18
- Best for Acne-Prone Skin: Tata Harper Clarifying Mask, $75
- Best for Mature Skin: Mario Badescu Super Collagen Mask, $12
- Best for Sensitive Skin: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask, $24
The exact way to use a facial mask generally depends on the type of mask used, since there are so many options available on the market — and each one has a specific function for overall skin health. “You can get masks for clarifying, brightening, hydrating, soothing, or anti-aging,” explains Claire Wolinsky, MD, a board-certified dermatologist based in NYC. “You should test the ingredients of the mask on your hand first if you have sensitive skin, and always keep it on for the least number of minutes the first time using it.” After applying and letting it dry, wash it off with water (or a gentle cleanser if it’s an acid-based mask), and apply moisturizer. Dr. Wolinsky also suggests not using drying masks more than twice a week at most, but you can use hydrating masks more often.
And while our desks are continually graced by new product launches on the daily (a tough job, we know, but someone’s got to do it), we’re taking a step back to spotlight the best face masks that actually work — so skin feels and looks brighter, dewier, and less congested.
Here, we’ve rounded up 16 of our all-time best face masks, including editor favorites, Best of Beauty winners past and present, and dermatologist-approved formulas that deliver every time. Time for a well-deserved self-care moment.
All products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.